Posted on March 15, 2012
- The Salinas Valley in California grows most of the broccoli in the United States, and is one of the few vegetables that is available year round.
- Along with cabbage, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts, broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable.
- Broccoli is not only packed full of vitamins, minerals and fiber, but it is also jammed packed with phytochemicals. Phytochemicals are natural substances found in plants that protect your body against certain types of cancer and heart disease.
- Did you know…that broccoli got its name from the Latin word “brachium” which means branch or arm?
- Broccoli has as much calcium ounce per ounce as milk. It’s also a good source of Vitamin A, and vitamin C, potassium, folacin, iron and fiber.