Posted on March 29, 2012
- Cucumbers are a member of the gourd family along with melons, squash and pumpkins. It originated in India where they have been grown for 3,000 years.
- Cucumbers grow on a vine. They prefer sandy soil because it warms up faster in the spring.
- Cucumbers contain soluble and insoluble fibre, which helps you feel full and lower LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Stay “cool as a cucumber.” Cucumbers are best in the summer, so add a couple slices to your warm dishes to cool them down.
- Cucumbers are high in water, which makes them a perfect antioxidant. They remove accumulated waste and chemical toxins from your body.
- Cucumbers are also low in calories, which makes them a perfect food for your diet.