The base of larger asparagus can be tough and fibrous. This inedible part could either be pared with a vegetable peeler, or snapped off (the tender and tough parts will easily separate when snapped). However, there is less waste when the asparagus base is peeled. Walnut oil is a bit of an extra cost, but well worth it. It not only pairs beautifully with the asparagus and lemon, but it can be used on salads, or drizzled on other roasted vegetables.
• 1 bunch (about 1 pound) asparagus
• 3 tablespoons walnut oil
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
• Preheat oven to 425°F.
• Prepare asparagus by peeling tough base with a vegetable peeler, or snapping it off.
• Place prepared asparagus on a baking sheet. Drizzle it with the oil, then add salt and pepper and toss to combine. Sprinkle walnuts over asparagus.
• Bake the asparagus for 10 minutes, or until fork-tender.
• Transfer asparagus to a serving platter, drizzle with the lemon juice and sprinkle with the lemon zest.
• For a special touch add Asiago, Parmesan or Romano cheese if desired
Just email firstname.lastname@example.org to let him know how many bundles you want, and when you want them. We expect to have good steady supply up until mid to late June so you can add them to your delivery in time for the next BBQ!
Have a very berry summer this year for just $5.00. Order as many as you want per delivery. Let us know if you would like to pre-order today by emailing me and quoting the number of baskets desired – email@example.com
We post regularly on both Facebook & Pinterest. Like us now to keep up to date with our latest recipes which give you ways to use items in your mixture each week. We also provide loads of other helpful hints & information so what are you waiting for. See you soon!
This recipe is by Betty’s Organics friend and customer Terri Pischoff Wuerthner, a Sonoma County food writer specializing in recipe development and testing – www.terris-kitchen.com
Organic Asparagus with Lemon & Walnut