WITH CHOCOLATE SHAVINGS
Bosc pears and D’Anjou pears are one of the joys of the winter season. While both types are good for eating out of hand and cooking, the firm and crunchy brown-skin Bosc pear is the best for cooking as it holds its shape well. D’Anjou pears aren’t quite as flavorful as some other varieties, but have a pleasing soft texture and light green skin sometimes with an attractive red blush on the skin.
• 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
• 2 cups water
• 2 teaspoons lemon zest
• 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• ½ cup sugar
• 6 Bosc pears (about 2 pounds)
• 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed in 2 teaspoons water
• 1 4 ounce bittersweet chocolate bar
• Shred mint leaves by placing them in a stack and slicing across the stack of leaves, cutting mint into thin shreds. Set aside.
• Add 2 cups water into a non-reactive (not aluminum) saucepan. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar to the water and stir to combine.
• Cut the pears into quarters and cut out the cores (peeling them is optional, the peels add both color and fiber). Add pear quarters to the saucepan.
• Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 15-25 minutes, until pears are tender when the tip of a sharp knife in inserted in the thickest part.
• Remove pears from the saucepan, and add the mint and the cornstarch-water mixture to the liquid in the pan (still over low heat). Stir to thicken the syrup, and add the pears back into the pan, basting them with the syrup. Allow pears to cool in the syrup.
• Add four quarters of pear to each of six plates. Spoon the syrup evenly over the pears.
• Shave the chocolate bar with a vegetable peeler, or grate the chocolate bar. Sprinkle the shaved chocolate on the pears.
THE SATSUMA SACK IS BACK!
Sign up today to receive a bag in your regularly scheduled deliveries for just $10.00! Delicious and full of vitamin C these little beauties liven up any fruit bowl in the winter months.
Simply reply to this email and we will add them to your orders going forwards, subject to availability. Typically only available until the end of December so what are you waiting for? Get back to the Satsuma Sack today!
DELIVERY DAY CHANGE – THANKSGIVING WEEK
• Tuesday deliveries will now be on Monday, November 21st
• Wednesday deliveries will now be on Tuesday, November 22nd
• Thursday & Friday deliveries will now be on Wednesday, November 23rd
We post regularly on both Facebook & Pinterest. Like us now to keep up to date with our latest recipes which give you ways to use items in your mixture each week. We also provide loads of other helpful hints & information so what are you waiting for. See you soon!
This recipe is by Betty’s Organics friend and customer Terri Pischoff Wuerthner, a Sonoma County food writer specializing in recipe development and testing – www.terris-kitchen.com
Organic Lemon Minted Pears